This release serves as our first major release for the Windows operating system. As of this release, the Windows product now meets the threshold for general availability for customers and is officially out of Beta.
Included below are the enhancements we have made to features currently existing in Class for Windows.
- LTI Course Launch (LTI v1.1)
- Breakout Rooms*
Note: as with our MacOS product, Breakout Rooms is currently available in public beta. We expect to continue making improvements to this feature in the coming months.
Enhancements & Stability Improvements
- A number of improvements were made to enhance the appearance of the reactions and hand raise icons on users’ video panels
- Several improvements were made to the grid views on both the Classroom tab and the activity tabs to improve the display and interactivity of users’ video panels
- An update was made to address the security warning that was being shown during the install process; this warning should now no longer appear
- An issue with the Windows installer that prevented users from updating their existing Class application has now been fixed
Included below are the open issues that our team is actively working to address. An updated list of known issues will be published with our next release.
- Users may experience application crashes when launching or returning from Breakout Rooms; we expect to be releasing a patch in the next two weeks to enhance the stability of this feature.
- As of this release, only the instructor who created the class can launch Breakout Rooms.
- Dashboard metrics for a particular class are only updated once per day, not in real-time.
- As of this release, the Windows product does not support the floating toolbar; this will be added in a subsequent release.
- When screen sharing is disabled for other users besides the instructor (host), users on Windows do not see a “host has disabled screen sharing” notification.
- Students do not see a pop-up that “no syllabus has been set for this class” when students click on the syllabus button and no syllabus has been set for the class.
- The Learning Management System tool cannot be launched by TAs or students at this time. Instructors will need to launch the LMS until further notice.
- TAs are currently unable to close activity tabs, these tabs will need to be closed by instructors for now.
- In some cases, when users’ roles are upgraded during a class session, they may experience issues when configuring teaching tools. Users can resolve this by exiting the class and rejoining if this occurs.
- TAs are currently experiencing issues with updating the chat settings, we recommend these settings to be updated by instructors for now.
- The audio status icon shown in the bottom-left of each user’s video panel is currently not showing; this will be added in a subsequent release.
- The audio and video status icons in the participant list are sometimes slow to update (3-5 seconds).
- In some cases, lose focus tracking registers all users as having lost focus.
- In some cases, as the positioning of users in the Classroom tab changes, users’ names are incorrectly assigned to video panels for a brief period (~1-2 seconds) before the Classroom tab refreshes and the display is corrected.
- Configuring custom virtual backgrounds is currently experiencing issues, users are recommended to use the “Blur” setting for the time being and configuring that from the Settings menu available above the instructor podium.
- In some cases where users join a class session with activity tabs that are open/active, the activity tabs are duplicated.
- In some cases, when a number of tabs are shown (6+) and the app is not maximized, users are unable to navigate back to the Classroom tab from an activity tab. Users can maximize the app to resolve the issue.
- In some very isolated instances, the activity tabs that are active/shown can become out of sync with those that are shown to the instructor. This can be resolved by leaving the meeting and rejoining.
- When users deactivate and reactivate their video, their virtual background must be set again.
- The meeting info dialog only supports copying one meeting element at a time; copying the full meeting info will be available in a subsequent release.
- In some cases, users that are verified do not have their view or controls update when they transition to a verified state.
- Instances, where instructors launch 8+ tabs, will result in users experiencing issues navigating between tabs, this can be resolved by closing some of the activity tabs.
- In some cases, users on macOS devices that are joining meetings created by Windows users are experiencing inconsistencies with the verification functionality.
- In some isolated instances, users with many activity tabs open at the same time (5+) are experiencing application crashes.
- In some limited cases, particularly when using the additional cameras, the users positioned at the Front of the Room are not in sync for all members of the class session.
- For users on Windows, the feedback that is shared to “Presenting Users” is shown to all users; this will be corrected in a subsequent release.
- Upon highlighting text within the participants panel, the chat dialog, and the teaching and learning tools, users see a secondary “Services” menu with options that are not functional.