Accelerated digital transformation and ever-changing business conditions have highlighted the need for upskilling and reskilling at all levels. But despite awareness of the need in the C-suite, few organizations have effective strategies to build the critical skills required for the future workforce.
This infographic highlights the key skills needed for the future and the obstacles facing organizations as they build the personalized, contextualized learning experiences needed to drive changes in performance. For more information on the state of upskilling and reskilling and six actionable strategies, download the eBook, Upskilling and Reskilling: Delivering Personalized Learning at Scale, produced in partnership with Brandon Hall Group.
According to PwC’s report, Upskilling: Building confidence in an uncertain world:
- 74% of CEOs concerned about the availability of key skills
- 41% say that upskilling programs are very effective in creating stronger culture
- But only 18% have made significant progress in upskilling programs that mix soft, technical, and digital skills
The Future of Skills Is Increasingly Human
While technical and digital skills are important, human skills needed to innovate, learn, and manage stress dominate the top 10 skills for 2025, according to the World Economic Forum.
- Analytical thinking and innovation
- Active learning and learning strategies
- Complex problem-solving
- Critical thinking and analysis
- Resilience, stress tolerance, and flexibility
- Creativity, originality, and initiative
- Leadership and social influence
- Reasoning, problem-solving, and ideation
- Emotional intelligence
- Technology design and programming
Organizations Struggle to Personalize Their Upskilling and Reskilling Strategies
Personalized, contextualized learning experiences are needed to engage learners and drive meaningful impact on behavior and performance. But barriers stand in the way, according to recent research by the Brandon Hall Group.
Top 5 Challenges to Personalized Learning at Scale
- We have managers who are not very good coaches and don’t know what their employees are learning (68%)
- We do not have the technology ecosystem in place to develop and deliver personalized learning at scale (60%)
- We believe it would be too expensive (54%)
- The organization believes a one-size-fits-all approach to learning is sufficient (54%)
- We believe it would be too difficult to administer and maintain (48%)
3 Strategies to Upskill and Reskill at Scale
- Establish a Bridge Between Skills & Competencies
Skills are developed at the individual level while competencies are agreed upon by the organization.
- Build Your Strategy Around Tools that Support Skills
Use of technology should focus on experience to be as frictionless as possible.
- Set Clear Expectations for Leaders & Managers
Enable team leads to understand how to assess, coach, and measure skills.